Monday, August 12, 2013

Denial

Now I for one have never met a Sex and the City marathon I don't like

The inner workings of Carrie Bradshaw are sometimes just what I need to gain perspective on a situation (I'm not afraid to admit it). 

Yesterday she brought up denial. We can deny simple things such as we're not getting older, the number simply changes and we remain the same, or more serious matters such as going against our better judgement to deny what is right in front of our eyes. But in some cases, is denial a blessing, a glimmer of hope, possibly a positive coping mechanism?

My mind began swirling around the things that I had been in denial about in the past and the outcomes from keeping voluntary blinders over my eyes and my thoughts. 

And really looking back, denial was one of the best coping mechanisms there was for me with my Mom. Not because I was in denial that her cancer was getting worse, or in complete denial that it was there at all, but instead because denial (in its entirety) can simply allow you to push the not-so-pretty (thoughts, actions etc) into the back of your mind and allow you to continue with your daily life. At some point denial stems from hope, and sometimes its just what the doctors ordered.

As long as we able to understand that denial does not shape reality, and that it is a temporary escape... is it really deserving of such a bad reputation?



No comments:

Post a Comment