Monday, July 28, 2014

Give and Take

Life's about give and take, but in this world people aren't always a balanced mix.

The thing about givers is that people think the givers are weak when in all actuality they are the ones strong enough to take the responsibility of the world on their shoulders. They are the people who will  continually give, and the most astounding part is they don't expect much in return. They're the simpletons (in a very positive connotation) because it doesn't take much for them to be happy and they will happily put others before themselves. 

My mom was a giver, and one of the most breathtaking things was that my stepdad was also a giver. I always tell people that they wouldn't understand unless they saw it because their relationship was unselfish, appreciative and something you don't see everyday. They were one of the few that had that balance even until the end, they were partners who built something great together because they built it as that,giving together, instead of taking from one another. I'm not talking tangible things either, I'm talking about mutual respect and admiration they had through the years.

As I said, a lot of times takers see the givers and mistake it as weakness and continue to take, or they see it as given and they don't appreciate it. I recently left a relationship and really saw the toll of being a giver with an unbalanced taker. It was like a weight (even more so an unnecessary weight) was lifted off my shoulders. I also understood that I was not innocent in the situation, that to a point i perpetuated the situation. I was so dedicated to being a giver that I didn't set my limits, I provided, I took it and it eventually wore on me.

This world requires give and take, in friendships, relationships, family and work. It's the foundation to compromise. When it comes to this we may all have a little more giver and taker in us, but it's how we manage the qualities that mean the most. I found myself in a position where I didn't, and I have grown and learned from it to ensure I don't carry it on through my life. I will always be a giver, it's a who I am , I just need to be a giver who surrounds myself with those who appreciate it for the right reasons.




No comments:

Post a Comment