Sunday, June 22, 2014

Blood is Thicker Than Water ... To a Point

I get this to a point, but my hybrid family is my rock, related by blood or not.


In this day and age we see mish-mashed families of all sorts, shapes and sizes, but one thing's for sure in my family I have never felt that I am lacking in any way, if anything I have a bigger support system and more people that care about me. This weekend I made my trip home for a much needed visit with the family. I have to say they have a way of making a person feel appreciated (and my little brothers for keeping me entertained). It really got me thinking about my childhood and my upbringing. My parents got divorced at a very young age for me, and although it could've gone another way, I was blessed in the fact that my parents worked together to ensure that they both raised me. Instead of one parent at my games and events, I was lucky enough to have four. If my mom and dad had anything in common it was the respect they held for one another. Even more importantly, I was a member of each family whether it was by blood relation or not. Let me expand on that, whichever house I was at I felt home because of the people who surrounded me.

A big part of this is in thanks to my stepmom. I don't know if I tell her enough, but although we aren't blood, she has done above and beyond the duties of your typical stepmom. She has always worked to not only respect the memory of my mother, but to also never treat me any different than her own children, my brothers. Family photos, events and just being there for me to vent on things that a woman just needs to talk to her mom about.  I'm not a fan of the world luck but in my case I am very lucky to have her as part of my life.

On the other hand, I can't say I wasn't disappointed when another family member didn't have the time or energy to fit me into his plans. He was a second father to me, and for some reason or another he has chosen to slowly exit this stage of my life. I don't think it will make me stop trying, and I'm not going to feel sorry for myself because I have to think it is what it is... But I do think this explains my conclusion below:

So blood is thicker than water, I get it, but in my case, family isn't just the people your born related to, whether it's step parents, friends, relationships or more, family are the people who care enough to be a part of your life.
















No comments:

Post a Comment